Man, this recipe is good year round honestly. It’s filling and you can pair it with whatever you want too. Rice, quinoa, salad, stuff a pita, possibilities are endless. Even have sweet potato chili cereal, I mean I wouldn’t but whatever tickles your fancy.
You can definitely use your own choice of beans, but I personally used black beans, red kidney beans, and chickpea. You can add corn, spinach, kale, GET CREATIVE! This is a base recipe.
Also with the seasonings, you are more than welcome to adjust to your liking!
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can Chickpea
1 (14.5 oz) can Black Bean
1 (14.5 oz) can Red Kidney Bean
1 Large Sweet Potato (diced)
1 Medium Red Onion (diced)
1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
1 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
1 cup Water
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
Dash of Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Melted Vegan Butter
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
Tsp Sea Salt
2 Flax Eggs ( 2 Tbsp Ground Flax. 6 Tbsp Water)
1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- Add olive oil to pot and sauté onions and bell pepper on medium heat until translucent (about 4-5 min).
- Once onions and peppers and cooked down, add in diced sweet potato and cook down for another 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings, spices, and minced garlic. Cook down for about two minutes until everything is coated with seasonings.
- Add in vegetable stock, water, diced tomatoes, and (washed and drained) beans. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 35-40 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes or so.
- While chili is cooking, preheat oven to 425.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients for cornbread and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the wet ingredients to the dry mixture. Melted butter, canola oil, and almond milk. Stir until all combined, don’t over mix. Add a little more almond milk if batter is too thick.
- In greased baking dish, bake cornbread for about 25 min. Or until golden brown. Let cool before serving.
- Clean up after yourself.
Songs: Braincells – Chance The Rapper
Passing Period. – B. Anderson