Caramelized Banana French Toast. This is one of the recipes that’ll be in the category of “$15 or Cheaper” The recipes will be all meals you can prepare for $15, a lot of times way cheaper. This of course, doesn’t include staple ingredients like sweeteners, seasonings, and for the most part milk. I consider those staple ingredients because when you buy them they should last you for a minute, right?
Side note, I call this dish “Da Brodi” inspired by my dog Brodi. He’s in loved with mashed bananas and he also does this funny thing with his tongue when you feed him peanut butter, it’s funny.
Ingredients I went to the store for were:
Peanut Butter $2.16
Red Pepper .98
Green Pepper $.68
Ciabatta Bread $2.78
Coconut Milk $2.98
Also, you can save yourself a few bucks on that total if you already had things like bread and milk. Or, splurge if you want to go organic. Your world!
1 Loaf Rustic Bread
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1/4 Oat Flour (Grounded Oats)
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
3/4 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Nutmeg
3/4 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
Peanut Butter (melted for topping)
Powder Sugar (for garnish)
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
1/2 Cup Onion
1/2 Cup Green
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
2 Tbsp Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice potatoes, onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Add diced potatoes to skillet with oil. Cook for about 10 min until the potatoes start to crisp up then add peppers, onion, and garlic. Set aside and cook on low-med heat until potatoes are crispy and peppers/onions are cooked.
- Grind 1/4 cup of Oats in blender and set aside in a bowl.
- Add banana, coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, pinch of salt in a blender and combine.
- Dip bread pieces in mix, completely soaking it.
- In heated skillet with oil, cook bread on each side until toasted.
- While french toast is cooking prepare your caramelized bananas. In small pot combine cut bananas, 2 Tbsp coconut sugar, 2 Tbsp butter. Cook over medium heat tossing gently until bananas are coated in caramelized mixture.
- Plate french toast and coat with caramelized bananas. Additional garnishes: melted peanut butter (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), powdered sugar.
- Clean up after yourself.
Tom Misch – The Journey
Evil Needle – Sunday Morning