My good friend Mo came through with the camera, and we just decided to throw some things together. Surprisingly, it all turned out extremely good. Thus, the Lil’ Crispy Flatbread was born.
I made a thin homemade pizza dough and packed it with a garlic herb cream sauce, seasoned jackfruit, peppers, tabasco fried shallots, and a balsamic glaze. Probably one of the best flatbreads I’ve had and the best part about it, it’s 100% plant based.
I’ll keep this post short, but if you like it please share it with a friend and let me know if you try it out!
- 1/2 Tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Filtered Water
- 1 Tsp Cane Sugar
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Pink Salt
Garlic Herb Cream Sauce
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese (I used Go Veggie)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Herb De Provence
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 Can Jackfruit (Shredded and Washed)
- Shredded Peppers and Onions (As Much As You Like)
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1Tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Veggie Stock
- Smoked Sea Salt/Pepper to taste
Crispy Tabasco Shallots
- 2-3 Shallots (Thinly sliced)
- Corn Starch
- Oil (For frying)
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 5 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Prepare dough.
- Combine the yeast water, and sugar. Stirring gently to dissolve the mixture together. Let stand to foam 5-10 min.
- Add sifted flour to mixing bowl along with salt and pepper. Add in yeast mixture and oil. Mix until incorporated.
- Turn the dough on floured surface and knead for about 10 minute. Until no longer sticker.
- Oil mixing bowl and place in dough. Cover and let rise for 45 min – 1 hour. Or until doubled in size.
- In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and coconut sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and let cook for about 10 minutes until glaze is reduced to half and begins to look syrupy. Set aside.
- In medium skillet heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Toss in shredded jackfruit, peppers, and all the seasonings. Cook down until peppers and onions are tender. About 8-10 minutes. Add in veggie stock and cook until all liquid has been evaporated. About another 8-10 minutes.
- In another medium skillet. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat and sauté minced garlic. After letting the garlic cook for 2 minutes, add in vegan cream cheese, Herb de Provence, salt/pepper, and cumin. You can add a little coconut milk or water to thin out the cream mixture. Let cook down until fully combined and you get a thick, creamy, spreadable mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425. Remove flatbread from fridge. Divide the dough in portions, you should be able to get 4 equal sized portions out of the dough. Roll out dough into flatbread shape. Here, you can honestly make the dough as thin or thick as you want. I chose to do a flatter flatbread which lead to the crispiness. Once rolled out, use a fork to poke holes in dough to prevent bubbles rising in middle. Transfer the dough to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Top the dough with the garlic herb cream cheese mixture, and peppers and jackfruit. Bake flatbread for 16-18 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- While the flatbread is in the oven, prepare the shallots. In a strainer, toss the sliced shallots in Tabasco and cornstarch. Make sure all shallots are evenly coated. Fry the shallots in batches. Each batch should take no longer than 3-4 minutes, if that! Drain and set aside.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with the crispy shallots, and balsamic glaze. I also added some micro greens to my pizza for more color.
- Enjoy! Clean up after yourself!